1. "The Maharaja Bhupinder Singh Punjab Sports University, Patiala"(MBSPSU) has been Established vide Notification dated: 29.08.2019 under the Punjab Act No. 11 of 2019. The Preamble of the University Act mandates:-
1) “to establish and incorporate a Sports University in the State of Punjab, a Specialized University, to promote sports education in the areas of sports sciences, Sports technology, sports management and sports coaching.
2) Function as a State Training Centre for select sports disciplines by adopting best International practices.
3) The sole University empowered to affiliate and regulate any Sports or Physical Education Institutions in the State of Punjab and matter connected therewith or Incidental thereto.”
2. The UGC accorded recognition to the University under section 2(f) of the UGC Act 1956 on 9th September 2019. It became functional on 16 September 2019 from the premises of Professor Gursewak Singh Government College of Physical Education, Patiala which is a Constituent college of the University. The Offices of the University are functioning from Mohindra Kothi, near Fountain Chowk, Patiala. The University has been granted membership of Association of Indian Universities (AIU) with effect from 01 April 2020 and placed in the North Zone. It has three constituent and five affiliated colleges. The following courses are currently conducted in the :-
1) Bachelor of Physical Education and Sports (BPES)
2) Bachelor of Sports Science (BSS.)
3) Post-Graduation Diploma in Yoga.
4) Master of Science. (Yoga)
3. The following new courses are being introduced from the ensuring academic session
1) Bachelor of Arts (BA).
2) Master of Physical Education and Sports (MPES).
3) Three months Certificate Courses in
a) Physical Fitness.
b) Yoga & Health Science.
4. The University has established a State Training Center (STC) in Polo and Equestrian at Patiala and setting up a STC for Boxing at Patiala and Jalandhar. STCs are also being established for Fencing and Basketball at Patiala, and Football at Govt. College, Kala Afghana.
5. The University Campus Construction is underway near village Sidhuwal along Bhadson Road adjacent to the Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law. Phase 1 construction comprising of an Academic Block and two Hostels, are expected to be completed by March 2023.